Thread: Tell me about SCAT

Tell me about SCAT

Hello. I'm interested in joining a club and was wondering if someone provide some details about SCAT. I looked at the site and didn't seem to see a whole lot regarding your guidelines and requirements. Any information you could provide would be great. Thanks for your time.

Member SCAT

Scat

SCAT is one of the original San Diego Region clubs. We try not to be car specific oriented but rather driving oriented. The majority of cars happen to be Miata's but we run the gammet from the '70VW Bug to Z06 'vette and Honda CRX, 125 shifter kart or whatever anyone happens to bring to an event. We try to be open to all competitors for the benifit of the San Diego Region. We do require participation, attend at least one meeting, try to make as many events as possible. Be a part of the SCAT events (all day afair, generally concluding with diner at a local resturant). There are dues ($10) and this provides members with a SCAT shirt. We try to put on off track fun events for the membership, this year it was a Rally, last year an evening at a Kart track.

Senior Member SCNAX
    Chattanooga, TN (just west of Tail of the Dragon)
    Ability to spell is NOT REQUIRED.

Randy ducks and runs from Daryled

Membership

I joined SCAT in 2004 and have been having a blast ever since. We have great people here and put on a well organized event when it is our turn. I would welcome a new member and help in any way possible.

We usually meet on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at a La Mesa dining location for dinner and meeting around 6pm. Meetings are not mandatory as the last post included, but, I enjoy going for the friends.

I belonged to another club in 2003 when I first started to autocross and later chose to be a SCAT member. So...Being a member of a club allows you eligiblity for year end points awards in the class you enter. The only catch is you must attend roughly 4/5ths of the championship races. For example, 9 of 13 races. That is a rough idea. Besides...We have cool shirts that go with the membership.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Scott Lewis
    2006 SCAT President

I'd love to participate as much as possible with work load and driving, but unfortunately, I am required to travel for work and have the possibility of being out of country for at least two weeks at a time, so I'm not sure if I could meet your attendance requirements. Bummer. Well, regardless, thanks for the info.

Membership

I should apologize for making it sound as though you need to run many events. In fact you do not have to run many at all. You may run as often or as little as you want. The points system is there if you are running toward a year end award. Either way, you will still receive points.
    Hope that straightens things out.

Scott

No apologies necessary. I was concerned with this:

The only catch is you must attend roughly 4/5ths of the championship races.
    One of my coworkers just got back from a China trip that lasted 7 weeks, he was home for two weeks, and now he's going back for another 3 weeks. So if I ever (doubtful) had to go over for any extended time, I wouldn't be able to attend (unless you guys are moving to China )

Senior Member SCNAX
    I'm sure it was meant to read

"The only catch is you must attend roughly 4/5ths of the championship races [to qualify for year end points awards in the class you enter]."

Jay W
    505/287 Dakota

Membership

Yeah!!! What he said!

Im not president yet obviously.

Senior Member SCAT
    Quote Originally Posted by kartdriver
    We usually meet on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at a La Mesa dining location for dinner and meeting around 6pm. Meetings are not mandatory as the last post included, but, I enjoy going for the friends.

Scott Lewis
    2006 SCAT President
    Daryled & Scott posted differing info about membership requirements, unless a bylaw change took place in the last year, AND the membership has not been mailed new copies, both are wrong.....

Meeting attendance is required. "From year to year, a Member must attend in person a minimum of four (4) Meetings and Two-thirds (2/3) of SCAT sponsored events. Members serving on Active Military Duty or competing at a National level Solo II event on the day of the SCAT sponsored event will be considered in attendance." That said, there is no attendance requirement to apply for membership, however most attending a meeting or two to see if they fit prior to applying. How do you apply, you ask? No formal application required, show up at a meeting and express your interest in joining.

(Out of towners have been given a pass on the meetings, but the events part to my knowledge has not been given a pass in the past.)

Transparent Event Management

See my remarks regarding TART