Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Classing question for a modified Tesla Model 3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2

    Classing question for a modified Tesla Model 3

    Hi all. New here, and looking to be a regular at the local events. I'm signed up for X runs in the upcoming SOLO Championship, so classing doesn't really matter (right?), but for future events, I would like some guidance on the proper way to class my car.

    Setup is mostly for me to enjoy a few track days a year ( I've done Buttonwillow 3x, and Laguna Seca 1x this year), but figured it's a much shorter drive to the stadium so I plan to spend a few weekends there to close out the year, and then spend more time there next year (unless it moves). I brought the car out for the Novice school back in April and had fun, and can continue having fun at just practice days or by doing X runs, but being competitive, I figured I should class the car and see how I fare.

    On to the details -
    2018 Model 3 Performance
    Coilover suspension
    Adjustable suspension arms
    Slotted rotors (stock diameter)
    Wider wheels
    265 wide street tires (RE71R)
    Brake lines/fluids/pads

    So, stock, the car is B Street. However, I am unsure if the modifications mean it's in Street Touring, or if it goes straight to BS Prepared?

    Any thoughts or guidance?

    Many thanks!

  2. #2
    Member SCNAX
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    97
    Looks like it maybe ESP, CAM-C, BSP most likely though

  3. #3
    Junior Member DCCSD
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    25
    Interesting. Seems like half the cars I buy.. missing an "up" class for them. Lol
    I have to agree with booyaa, I think ESP or CAM-C.. I don't see BSP though....as there is no "catch-all". Most of the catch-alls address displacement, but what "is" an electric motors displacement? SCCA is pretty protective of ST..so if you don't see it listed, may be for a reason.

    As the Tesla roadster is listed in SSP, It would not surprise me if it ends up there, as the roadster is RWD, but the AWD is pretty impressive on the new stuff.

    May be worth penning/typing a an on-line letter to SCCA/SEB.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
    Looks like it maybe ESP, CAM-C, BSP most likely though
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSw/aTVR View Post
    Interesting. Seems like half the cars I buy.. missing an "up" class for them. Lol
    I have to agree with booyaa, I think ESP or CAM-C.. I don't see BSP though....as there is no "catch-all". Most of the catch-alls address displacement, but what "is" an electric motors displacement? SCCA is pretty protective of ST..so if you don't see it listed, may be for a reason.

    As the Tesla roadster is listed in SSP, It would not surprise me if it ends up there, as the roadster is RWD, but the AWD is pretty impressive on the new stuff.

    May be worth penning/typing a an on-line letter to SCCA/SEB.
    Thanks for the replies!

    Can't be in CAM-C, since it's not a front engine/RWD config. I don't know that I follow why it would in ESP and not BSP, but that's why I'm here asking for help. Total noob. I thought there was a way to go from BS, (or any other street class), and bump classes depending on the mods?

    Back in January I requested the Model 3 to either be classed in ST, or for better clarification as to where I would be classed (26105). I was notified to view the response to 25818, which was someone else's request to have the car classed in ST. The response to that was:
    "Thank you for your input. With Tesla making mid-year hardware and software changes
    to vehicles the STAC is hesitant to class the Model 3. There are other electric vehicles
    classed in the ST category from manufacturers that follow a more traditional (and
    predictable) model refresh strategy. The STAC will continue to monitor interest in the
    Model 3 among the membership."

    In addition, there have been a few other requests to remove it from BS altogether, but those have been denied.

    Based on the description of STU, I'm having a hard time understanding why it wouldn't be in STU:

    "Street Touring Ultra (STU) – Higher power and performance sports
    cars and coupes, along with similarly high performance AWD sedans."
    [CENTER]P3D+ | DBM | White | 3M Crystalline | Full XPEL+
    MPP: F/R rotors, SS brake lines, Sports Coilovers,Toe & Camber arms | Signature SV103
    48Ink.com | Screen printing | Embroidery | Decals | Vehicle wraps | Signage[/CENTER]

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_Engnr View Post
    Hi all. New here, and looking to be a regular at the local events. I'm signed up for X runs in the upcoming SOLO Championship, so classing doesn't really matter (right?), but for future events, I would like some guidance on the proper way to class my car.

    Setup is mostly for me to enjoy a few track days a year ( I've done Buttonwillow 3x, and Laguna Seca 1x this year), but figured it's a much shorter drive to the stadium so I plan to spend a few weekends there to close out the year, and then spend more time there next year (unless it moves). I brought the car out for the Novice school back in April and had fun, and can continue having fun at just practice days or by doing X runs, but being competitive, I figured I should class the car and see how I fare.

    On to the details -
    2018 Model 3 Performance
    Coilover suspension
    Adjustable suspension arms
    Slotted rotors (stock diameter)
    Wider wheels
    265 wide street tires (RE71R)
    Brake lines/fluids/pads

    So, stock, the car is B Street. However, I am unsure if the modifications mean it's in Street Touring, or if it goes straight to BS Prepared?

    Any thoughts or guidance?

    Many thanks!
    Limited Prep ASP is what class your car would fall into. Might as well buy some 265 A7's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •