Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best NEW car choice for A Street

Member DCCSD
    Yeah, there is way more difference than that. Scales vary of course, but depending on fuel level race weights on a stock class C5 Z06 are 3030-3050, and the C6 Z06 is 3150-3175. My SSP and SSM C5's weighed 2920 or so with no A/C and race seats, and that was on huge Kumho V710 315F/335R on 11.5 and 13" wheels. Hoosiers would take 25+ lbs off of that.

I retired from going to nationals after 2013 when it started raining on us just as we pulled to the line at the Pro with 3 of us tired for the national points lead. This year's terrible weather out there so far is a perfect example of why I no longer have any interest. I didn't know it until later, but I had been to Nationals 27 times(!). Way too many.
    Gary T.

Thanks for the info. Considering buying my "old man retirement car"
    Yeah, it certainly does seem to rain at Natls a lot more than I would've guessed ... but I live in a desert.
    Wow! 27 times! You must've started when you were 15 So are you back there observing or just monitoring remotely?

More on "Best NEW car for A Street" Final (Unofficial?) Results for A Street at Solo Nationals in Lincoln, Nebraska; Sept.5, 2018 :
    TOP 25 Positions only. Why 25 instead of 20? We'll get to that in a minute....

Year(s) Car Type Final Position

2002-2004 C5 Corvette Z06 1,2,4,10,12,15,17,18,19,20,22
    2007-2011 C6 Corvette Zo6 3,5,8,23

2016 Shelby Mustang GT 350 6,24

2017-2018 Porsche Cayman 718 7, 21

2017 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE 8,9

2006 Lotus Elise 11

2010-2011 C6 Corvette Grand Sport 13,16

2013 C6 Corvette 14

2016 C7 Corvette Z51 25 (YUP! That's why we listed 25 instead of 20 this time. This guy's clearly in for the FUN!!)

COMPLETE RESULTS HERE:http://sololive.scca.com/

SO, what's the best NEW car for A Street? It's COMPLICATED.
    First, there aren't many NEW cars in the list. Even if you count the older ones that are still in production as new.
    Then, there are the rule proposals mentioned in the above posts to move some "muscle cars" to B Street next year.
    If you subtract those cars possibly moving out of the class, we're down to the Porsche Cayman 718 base;
    And the Corvette Stingray Z51, which by my grace, JST made the list!
    THEN, we could get into the Porsche Cayman S, GTS, etc., that are rumored to be moving down from SS; but I'm not going there yet.

As much as I like Corvettes, I think we're left with the Porsche Cayman. Yikes!! I guess I'm done here.

Best Regards,
    John
    Last edited by lost won; 09-05-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Corruption of English is worsest than the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by itrbruce View Post
    Thanks for the info. Considering buying my "old man retirement car"
    Hi, Bruce,
    I completely understand. Found mine last year. Now to race it into the ground before I get too decrepit to enjoy it! Get the one with the heated and cooled seats, and an automatic....

Quote Originally Posted by lost won View Post
    Get ... an automatic
    I not THAT old
    I don't know what the conditions were like on day 2, but if you assume they were better you might want to ignore day 1's results where it seems like people could not put power down. If you re-sort by how they did on day 2 you get noticeably different results ...
    2010-2011 C6 Corvette Grand Sport 1,15
    2017-2018 Porsche Cayman 718 2,27
    2002-2004 C5 Corvette Z06 3,6,8,9,11,12,14,16,18,21,23,25,28
    2013 C6 Corvette 4
    2007-2011 C6 Corvette Zo6 5,7,10,13,22,26
    2016 C7 Corvette Z51 17
    2017 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE 19,30
    2006 Lotus Elise 20
    2016 Shelby Mustang GT 350 24,29

Quote Originally Posted by itrbruce View Post
    I not THAT old
    I don't know what the conditions were like on day 2, but if you assume they were better you might want to ignore day 1's results where it seems like people could not put power down. If you re-sort by how they did on day 2 you get noticeably different results ...
    2010-2011 C6 Corvette Grand Sport 1,15
    2017-2018 Porsche Cayman 718 2,27
    2002-2004 C5 Corvette Z06 3,6,8,9,11,12,14,16,18,21,23,25,28
    2013 C6 Corvette 4
    2007-2011 C6 Corvette Zo6 5,7,10,13,22,26
    2016 C7 Corvette Z51 17
    2017 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE 19,30
    2006 Lotus Elise 20
    2016 Shelby Mustang GT 350 24,29
    Keen observation, Bruce! I agree it does make a considerable difference. I bet most of the competitors wish they could stand on their Wednesday West lot times.

My old man's Corvette is a manual, and I do still enjoy rowing through the gears. But lately, after an hour or so of real stop and go on the freeways, my left leg gets wobbly.

Junior Member DCCSD
    Surprise! Look who showed up! I read this thread with interest as I am in A Street. With a moderate chance of local success. I noticed there were no Solstice in AStreet at Nats, There was an LS powered entry in CAM-S that broke the week before that looked promising... but maybe he was lucky to avoid the rains!

Anyway, I don't think speed wise the Solstice GXP belongs in AS, but I get it has the "TVR disease"... can't have an out of production car as the class leader, albeit there were likely more Solstice made in one year than all the production ever at TVR.

I'm just happy I bought a fun, pretty quick, rare, quirky beautiful car to compete in. While CAM-S appeals some, if I opened the piggy bank to start modifying cars, I'd rather spend it on a TVR or two.
    Gary.... I think I only made about 9-10 Nationals..kudos on yours and your trophy rack!
    Last edited by RCSw/aTVR; 09-05-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Junior Member DCCSD
    Oh yeah, if I go slow now I can blame it on falling on my head... Funny now, not a week ago!

The photos from Day 1 were incredible - an outboard motor might have been appropriate.

So I'm inclined to focus on today's results.

Those combined with my Cayman test drive, is really pushing toward Porsche.

I have driven the C7 base - great car. I've also driven the C7 GS, that was awesome.

But the Porsche felt better. That said, this is an interesting tidbit:

Quote Originally Posted by lost won View Post
    More on "Best NEW car for A Street"

THEN, we could get into the Porsche Cayman S, GTS, etc., that are rumored to be moving down from SS; but I'm not going there yet.

Best Regards,
    John
    Has this been proposed to the SEB? I didn't see that in the newletter.

Cheers,

John

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

what rain (on Tues)?

Gosh! We are beating this thread right along, aren't we? Thanks everyone, is has been FUN!

Bruce - Good picture of Tuesday in Nebraska! Explains a lot. But it rains a lot there. I think Larry Houghton, of Late Apex Photo (post #2) took one of my favorites of all time of rain right here in San Diego, where it NEVER rains. But when it does, it POURS. Last run of the 2013 season. I nailed the F Stock Class Championship on Hoosiers in the wet!
    Thanks again, Larry, for being there, probably soaking wet, to get the shot!

No, this thread is NOT over until the generously endowed lady sings!

John K. - (OP) The rumor about Caymans moving to and from A Street is still unclear to me.
    There was some mention of this in FastrackNews for February 2018, page 7 and 10.
    Seems some older (981)Caymans (2013-2016) were proposed to move from AS to BS in note #22275.
    Also, some older (981) Cayman S & GTS models (2013-@016) were going from SS to AS in note 23593.

In any case, it looks like the 718 Cayman S & GTS (2017-2018) are in SS now And the 718 Cayman base is in AS now.

Bill S. - (RCS in a TVR) Welcome to our thread! For those who don't know, he is the original "car slut";
    he'll drive anything from to a TVR (look it up) to a real hearse!
    Thing is, he WINS in everything he drives!
    Hope your noggin is okay, Bill; we don't need any of your stinkin' excuses...

RE: Pontiac Solstice GXP at Nats. Saw CAM-S results for a Jason Kupka in a 2007 Solstice GXP
    with Bridgestones who finally finished 13 of 30.
    Pretty sure I saw results for Tuesday that had him in 6th place then. Pretty respectable results.

That's all the news fit to print.
    Best Regards,
    John
    Last edited by lost won; 09-06-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Member DCCSD
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSw/aTVR View Post
    Surprise! Look who showed up!
    I'm just happy I bought a fun, pretty quick, rare, quirky beautiful car to compete in. While CAM-S appeals some, if I opened the piggy bank to start modifying cars, I'd rather spend it on a TVR or two.
    Gary.... I think I only made about 9-10 Nationals..kudos on yours and your trophy rack!
    That's a great car, and the guy in CAM-S was doing really well there for awhile in his. I had never heard of him before. The car was classed so high mostly because of R. Buetzer from Cal Club. Remember how fast he was in that car (or any car)?

I looked back in the record book today and checked, and it was 26 times - not 27. Both numbers are clearly ridiculous and reveal some sort mental problem. But, I was first place in the book in:
    Always Trophied, Men: 1st – Never failed to trophy in 26 events
    Trophies won: 26 – nine 1st, six 2nd, four 3rd, two 4th, three 5th, one 7th,
    one 10th
    Gary T.

Junior Member DCCSD
    The LS powered Solstice I mentioned sounds cool..

I think I had all but stopped any racing when Ryan was in any Solstice, but I did take 2nd behind him at a tour once or twice..

Obviously huge kudos to you Gary for a driving/racing/trophy resume' anyone would be envious of. Most impressive is the broad spectrum of different cars you achieved those results in!!

Hope to see you out there on the occasions I get out there too!

Junior Member DCCSD
    So, apparently it looks like a new BMW M2 Competition is a pretty good choice for AS.... Solstice...not so much.. But, could be my poor driving too.

On a side note..it was great to see the #OldTimers club out at the tour.. Gary Thomason, George Doganis, Bret Norgard.. not any slower either.

Junior Member DCCSD
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSw/aTVR View Post
    So, apparently it looks like a new BMW M2 Competition is a pretty good choice for AS.... Solstice...not so much.. But, could be my poor driving too.

On a side note..it was great to see the #OldTimers club out at the tour.. Gary Thomason, George Doganis, Bret Norgard.. not any slower either.
    I think I'm just talking to myself here, but John, I finally did that formula and my weight on the scales at the tour was 2921...so that brings me to a svelte 91 lbs an inch. A full 'stripper" Z0K would only manage 89 lbs an inch..

I am intrigued by the Randy Chase route of a Loti...

Sorry took me so long to respond. I'm still glad I got the 718 Cayman, although my wife would probably have been happier if I got the M2 with the back seat...

Is that calculation the weight divided by the total wheel width?

With or without the driver?

Cheers!

John

Junior Member DCCSD
    Quote Originally Posted by JKinOB View Post
    Sorry took me so long to respond. I'm still glad I got the 718 Cayman, although my wife would probably have been happier if I got the M2 with the back seat...

Is that calculation the weight divided by the total wheel width?

With or without the driver?

Cheers!

John

Yes, I used the formula you provided. I weighed at the tour with me out and 1/4 tank of gas. 8" wide rims front and rear. A "Full" Z0K (minus AC, power/leather seats, some Stereo equipment) is probably @ 75 pounds less than me.

Junior Member DCCSD
    Well JohnK... it appears you made the right choice! Congrats on your first win and I don't think it was that easy either...

Thanks Bill! Now I have to figure out how Hank was able to drive my car faster than me last time.