Thread: Newbie

Hey sdsolo! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Brian and I recently picked up a 91 civic hatch. I have been to a couple of practice days and plan on learning as much as I can before competing next year in 2017. This will also give me time to build my car and put in some seat time. I ultimately want to run in SMF. I will be out at the next event but I will be running novice just for times.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Senior Member SCNAX
    Welcome! Don't shy away from championship days, it'more seat time and with a little planning you can get plenty of runs and instruction too. SMF is an incredibly big step for just beginning. Give yourself plenty of time and feel things out before making that leap, a lot of fast and fun classes to be had before that with a lot less headache.... trust me

My vtec goes BwaaaaAAAH! SCNAX HY.'s Avatar
    Welcome Brian! Keep coming out! Peter's right, don't shy away from Champs, otherwise you'll be waiting until June for another Practice!
    -Hank #13

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

"Hank, YEEEE HAW!!! you're a tard head :P" - Diane Bollenbecker

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." -Obi Wan Kenobi aka Old Ben Kenobi aka Our Only Hope

Thanks for the welcoming. I do plan on coming out to the championship days. What I meant was I will be running novice class so I can continue to get faster and compare my times to the cars in SMF. By next year my car should be built enough to be competitive. I'll be out there on the 14th, hopefully with my new suspension and tires.

I've watched you drive this thing, you haul ass in it. Badass man.
    #721 - Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I've watched you drive this thing, you haul ass in it. Badass man.
    Thanks man. Hopefully your not mixing me up with Warren's red civic which truly hauls ass. After seeing his set up, I'll be borrowing some of the things he has done (shhh don't tell him) and adding some of my own know how. A little preview of what I've done in the last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Junior Member
    that's really high..

The Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritayik View Post
    Thanks man. Hopefully your not mixing me up with Warren's red civic which truly hauls ass. After seeing his set up, I'll be borrowing some of the things he has done (shhh don't tell him) and adding some of my own know how. A little preview of what I've done in the last week.
    He knows your car, no confusion. I was also impressed with your driving when we drove together.

I'm not much for working on cars, I buy them the way they are. My total contribution to my civic? I bought a REAL battery, not a toy battery, so it would actually turn over. So it's all the previous owner, Clay.

The mods for these cars are pretty tried and true. Plenty of people know exactly what to do, and I can point them out if you want input.

Just remember, your Prepared class unless you put the interior panels back in. You should do that, and aim for SMF. You'll fit right in there. No back seat required, but interior panels need to be in.

And good Lord, lower that thing!

You seem pretty serious, so if you come to a champ maybe we can split some X runs in my car and you can try it out.

Warren
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by syc View Post
    that's really high..
    Ya haha. I'm still waiting on my front Koni's so I can't lower it yet. It hurts my eyes the way it sits right now. 4X4!

Quote Originally Posted by nalbar View Post

Just remember, your Prepared class unless you put the interior panels back in. You should do that, and aim for SMF. You'll fit right in there. No back seat required, but interior panels need to be in.

You seem pretty serious, so if you come to a champ maybe we can split some X runs in my car and you can try it out.

Warren
    I thought I was able to remove the rear panels in SMF but after going over the rules you were right. Good thing I threw those suckers away. Looks like I'll be making a run to the junkyard soon. It would be a lot of fun to drive your car but at this point I'd rather not know what I am missing. Thank you for the offer though. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you run in SMF?

The Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritayik View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why don't you run in SMF?
    No particular reason. If I was still driving my Integra, I would still be in SMF. But I wanted to run street tires in the civic, so I did not have to change tires in the parking lot anymore, saving me hassle at events. It's certainly easier for me in SMF, because it's in the afternoon rotation, and STS is morning rotation. That makes STS harder to do my job, and increases the odds of me getting the incredibly obtuse 'you need to get out of grid and deal with a customer' comments. So SMF is easier for me, but STS is more competitive, with generally more consistent turn out.

I'm just taking a break from SMF this year. I'll probably go back there next year. But I think even then, I'm done with race tires.

Warren
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.