Thread: September 20 Champ Event, SOUTHEAST lot

The Iconoclast

September 20 Champ Event, SOUTHEAST lot

The flyer is up!

http://sdrscca.com/solo-schedule/

This event has been moved to the SOUTHEAST lot!

Warren
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

Member SCNAX
    Warren,
    Why does this keep happening? I sooooo miss the west lot

Oh, Cheer up, William! The SE Lot should be a little slower and tighter. Should be better for one of those lighter weight NewPonys with the Performance Pack and 3.73 gears and Torsen and fresh shocks and IRS and that sorta stuff.
    Oh, never mind. Yeah, I forgot; you don't HAVE one! sorry BRO.

See ya on the 20th. YeeeeeHaaaah!!

Best Regards!
    john
    Last edited by lost won; 09-11-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    Corruption of English is worsest than the worst.

The Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
    Warren,
    Why does this keep happening? I sooooo miss the west lot

This is going to be a LONG post, but I have been getting this question a LOT from the people who have not been around very long (and no, 3-4 years is not ‘long’)

Like many of the things in autocross, it’s really math that causes this, and pretty simple math at that.

This year (2015) the Solo program in San Diego will put on 13 Championships, 11 Practices, 1 National Tour, 2 Novice Schools, and 1 Street Survival. That adds up to 30 event ‘days’, using up 17 different weekends. So lets do the math! There are 52 weekends in a year (or 51, depending on the year, but let’s go with 52). So west lot dates (Saturday and Sunday) total 104 days in a year. From that you need to take out these days, Christmas (2 days), New Years (2 days), Thanksgiving (2 days), Easter (2 days), Labor day (2 days), Memorial Day (2 days), The first weekends in January (4 days, I won’t count New Years twice) because the solo committee won’t start early. one weekend in Dec (2 days because the solo committee won’t go ‘late’), Charger’s games (8 plus pre season....11 days), SDSU, (4 days, but let’s subtract a Friday night...3 days), Jehovah Witnesses (4 days), various concerts (this year 6 days at least), various 5 K’s (12 days, believe it or not), and let’s not forget the Solo Nationals every year (4 days). All of that adds up to 58 days, all of which are unavailable for use......BEFORE THE STADIUM MEETING EVEN STARTS. Now you have to subtract things like Euro Fest, Charger Fest, etc, etc, but I won’t add those in, I will just assume you are aware that such events exist. But let’s continue.... 58 taken days from 104 weekend days is 46 theoretical days.... and BMW (12 days), Karts (11 days), and Porsche (16 days) also want their dates. Well, obviously the SCCA is not going to get 30 events days when only 46 days are left (it’s actually far less than that because of other events not listed) and the other car groups also get dates. But, fortunately for our program it is not 104 days......WE HAVE TWO LOTS! So double that 46 theoretical days to 92..... and that is how the SCCA, BMW, KARTS, and Porsche can get 30+12+11+16 (69) days...we have 92 to get them.

Now add these logistical issues that make choosing days more difficult......The solo host groups have made it clear that if it gets to a choice between a Sunday on the West lot and a Saturday/Sunday on the SE we should take the double. Also, we have rules in the Sup Regs limiting how close our events can be to each other..meaning that available weekends that are consecutive we lose one of those weekends. This makes it more difficult to ‘weave’ through the schedule. But on to the..MATH! Take the combined car group dates (69) and subtract it from the theoretical dates (92) and you get 23 days that are left over, not rented (and it is far fewer than that!). We are a ‘not for profit’, and as such we pay a discount for the lot. If someone approaches the stadium and has a paid entry event they are going to pay twice as much (more actually) as us. Where do they go? Well, someone gets bumped. And if that group wants the West lot.....we get bumped. That is not what happened this particular time, but it is mainly what happens. But as you can see, there are only about 20 days left after the meetings for new events to pick a day. That increases the odds that they will want a 'taken' day from one of the not for profits.

People get confused...they think it is a choice between the West lot and the SE lot. But most often it is not that choice...it is a choice between the SE lot and no event at all.

Now more numbers;
    2015...30 event days
    2014...28 event days
    2013...29 event days
    2012...29 event days
    2011...28 event days

Now.....what all this means is.....nobody rents more days at the stadium than the SCCA! NOBODY does 30 days like we do, year after year after year. And I don't mean just the car clubs...I mean NOBODY rents more dates than the SCCA! Obviously if you rent more than anybody else, the law of averages (more math!) says you will get bumped more than anyone else. If you rent the lot 4 times a year you simply won’t get bumped as much as if you rent 30 days a year. That said..the BMW club got bumped twice in the first half and had no fall back like we do...they lost dates. The surprise is not that the SCCA gets bumped....it’s that we actually rarely lose dates, and even when we do...we do so many dates it’s hardly noticeable. Let’s say we lose a Champ.....its one day out of 30 days....what is that, around 4% of our dates? Shoot, losing one Champ is not even 10% OF OUR CHAMPS! There are two miracles taking place here...one that we don’t get bumped more frequently with all the days we rent....and the second miracle is that the schedulers (cough cough) can weave through all this year after year after year (and they have for 30 years!) and make sure the SCCA gets what we want.

I want to clarify something...I simply doubled the theoretical days for the West and SE Lots. But they are NOT even..the SE lot is open far more than the West lot, particularly in the second half.

And that is the answer to you question! There are only so many days available.....far fewer than most people imagine. And it is VERY competitive for those dates.

Warren
    Last edited by nalbar; 09-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.

Late Apex Photo

So What Did Happen?

Warren, thanks for the explanation for the new folks. Now to the more direct question you did not explain ("That is not what happened this particular time, but it is mainly what happens."). Why did we get bumped this weekend? Thanks.
    Larry

[URL="http://www.lateapexphoto.com"]Late Apex Photo[/URL]

The Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by BM96 View Post
    Warren, thanks for the explanation for the new folks. Now to the more direct question you did not explain ("That is not what happened this particular time, but it is mainly what happens."). Why did we get bumped this weekend? Thanks.
    Apparently Race Legal cannot get their normal Friday night dates, so they want to do/try a Sunday night event. Because that involves a Sunday set up so they can be ready, they get our lot. The stadium told me it's just a one time thing, and will not be a regular occurrence.

I'm not sure how Sunday night will work for them with their sound issues. But maybe they are starting earlier than usual.

Warren

Thanks, once again, for taking the time to help everyone understand, Warren! It is appreciated.

Noob question: I see the event flyer, but it doesn't say how to sign up. I have been to only to one practice event before and it was listed on motorsportreg.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbaero View Post
    Noob question: I see the event flyer, but it doesn't say how to sign up. I have been to only to one practice event before and it was listed on motorsportreg.
    No sign ups for "championship" events. Just show up and register.

I wonder how well the 'comp' tires will do at race legal?

Cone Eater SCNAX
    So I'm confused. Are they having two days of racelegal? Because they are having it tonight and no mention of an event Sunday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoush View Post
    So I'm confused. Are they having two days of racelegal? Because they are having it tonight and no mention of an event Sunday...

I can only go by what I am told by the stadium. I also wondered about that.

Member SCNAX
    Jon,
    Looking forward to seeing you drive that new pony car of yours, and FYI I got some new wheels with Hoosierstones..... Enough said

William, you junk yard dog you. Isn't that just something you'd do. I can't wait to see how they work out! I got some old wheels and old Dunlops. No point in me getting B-stones this year. I'm locked into third place. But maybe next year, if I get this NewPony sorted out.... See ya tomorrow, friend!

Best Regards,
    john

Member SCNAX
    see you then my friend

The Iconoclast
    If I had to guess I would say the whole thing was about access to the beer garden. In the past we have had conflicts with the people working/supplying there. So they probably wanted access, we got moved.

Cone Eater SCNAX
    Quote Originally Posted by nalbar View Post
    If I had to guess I would say the whole thing was about access to the beer garden. In the past we have had conflicts with the people working/supplying there. So they probably wanted access, we got moved.

I was wondering about that, I went around to that side to see what the deal was, complete ghost town no one there. Oh well, was still a fun event with only one annoying crossing at the ditch

Senior Member SCNAX
    Quote Originally Posted by nalbar View Post
    If I had to guess I would say the whole thing was about access to the beer garden. In the past we have had conflicts with the people working/supplying there.
    Yeah, but I got a lot of free tapatio hot sause off of that. :-)

Jay W

The Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by woodrufj View Post
    Yeah, but I got a lot of free tapatio hot sause off of that. :-)

Jay W

I was thinking about just that incident.