Thread: Towing From Lincoln

Late Apex Photo

Towing From Lincoln

Hey folks, I’m looking for some advice from those who have towed a trailer back from Lincoln. How is the drive from Denver through the Rockies on I-70? I know it’s over 11,000 feet, but is it reasonable to haul a 24' trailer with a Tundra that way? The southern route from Denver to Albuquerque adds about 200 miles. Thanks for any advice.
    Larry

[URL="http://www.lateapexphoto.com"]Late Apex Photo[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by BM96 View Post
    Hey folks, I’m looking for some advice from those who have towed a trailer back from Lincoln. How is the drive from Denver through the Rockies on I-70? I know it’s over 11,000 feet, but is it reasonable to haul a 24' trailer with a Tundra that way? The southern route from Denver to Albuquerque adds about 200 miles. Thanks for any advice.
    You can likely get more up to date info from others, but 10 years ago I went in my Integra Type R out via Palmdale (for my pit crew) and Denver (visit my brother), and then on to Topeka for the big show. On the way back, we took the southern route through Oklahoma City and even though the Denver route had seemed fine and this southern route was longer, it was much faster/easier.

Now that the show is in Lincoln, NE things might be different, but I'd guess not.

Have fun,
    Bruce

Member DCCSD
    Larry, I have been every route possible over the years and they all have pluses and minuses. Like you point out, the Southern route (there are several variations) is the longest, but weather is unlikely to be an issue and speed limits are high in AZ and NM. But, it will be hotter in general, and once you turn North after Tucumcari you are now on 2 lane roads with sometimes long stretches between small towns and remote Indian Reservations, and low speed limits. You can avoid this by going all the way to 35 North in Oklahoma City, but that adds yet another 100 miles. Scenery is generally not good for much of the trip.

The route through Denver out I70 is all major interstates and high speeds except for the steep grades. The issue here is power to get through the high passes and poor fuel economy. But, I have towed an enclosed trailer with a heavy car this way with a late model Tundra with plenty of power in reserve. More minuses though are high fuel and lodging prices in some areas, and you need to check the weather reports over the high passes. It can snow there easily in September. This route is both faster and shorter than the Southern route, and very scenic in comparison.

Last year I took the far Northern route up the 15 to I80 all the way to Lincoln. Again, all fast modern interstates and not much altitude or steep climbs to deal with except one grade out of Salt Lake City. Mostly low fuel costs, although lodging was higher than you might expect in some areas. Some of the drive through Wyoming can be shockingly remote and lonely with no cell service, but other than that I have no real complaints that way. It is essentially the same length as the Denver route but after you are out of Utah the scenery is pretty bleak. Weather is still something of a concern in some spots, but not like Denver can be. I would go this way again if I was going this year.

Have fun!
    Last edited by ASPC5; 08-24-2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Gary T.

Late Apex Photo
    Quote Originally Posted by ASPC5 View Post
    Larry, I have been every route possible over the years and they all have pluses and minuses. Like you point out, the Southern route (there are several variations) is the longest, but weather is unlikely to be an issue and speed limits are high in AZ and NM. But, it will be hotter in general, and once you turn North after Tucumcari you are now on 2 lane roads with sometimes long stretches between small towns and remote Indian Reservations, and low speed limits. You can avoid this by going all the way to 35 North in Oklahoma City, but that adds yet another 100 miles. Scenery is generally not good for much of the trip.

The route through Denver out I70 is all major interstates and high speeds except for the steep grades. The issue here is power to get through the high passes and poor fuel economy. But, I have towed an enclosed trailer with a heavy car this way with a late model Tundra with plenty of power in reserve. More minuses though are high fuel and lodging prices in some areas, and you need to check the weather reports over the high passes. It can snow there easily in September. This route is both faster and shorter than the Southern route, and very scenic in comparison.

Last year I took the far Northern route up the 15 to I80 all the way to Lincoln. Again, all fast modern interstates and not much altitude or steep climbs to deal with except one grade out of Salt Lake City. Mostly low fuel costs, although lodging was higher than you might expect in some areas. Some of the drive through Wyoming can be shockingly remote and lonely with no cell service, but other than that I have no real complaints that way. It is essentially the same length as the Denver route but after you are out of Utah the scenery is pretty bleak. Weather is still something of a concern in some spots, but not like Denver can be. I would go this way again if I was going this year.

Have fun!
    Thanks for the great insight, Gary. I think Robert S. and I will check the weather and make the call on Saturday as we head out. Sorry to hear you're not going to make it.
    Larry

Late Apex Photo
    Quote Originally Posted by itrbruce View Post
    You can likely get more up to date info from others, but 10 years ago I went in my Integra Type R out via Palmdale (for my pit crew) and Denver (visit my brother), and then on to Topeka for the big show. On the way back, we took the southern route through Oklahoma City and even though the Denver route had seemed fine and this southern route was longer, it was much faster/easier.

Now that the show is in Lincoln, NE things might be different, but I'd guess not.

Have fun,
    Bruce
    Thanks, Bruce.
    Larry

Thanks, Bruce.
    Your welcome, but I had one more thought for you ...
    Check to see if there is any planned road construction on whatever route you are choosing. This is still the time of year they do that sort of thing and that can really change the flavor of your trip.

Cone Eater SCNAX
    Quote Originally Posted by itrbruce View Post
    Your welcome, but I had one more thought for you ...
    Check to see if there is any planned road construction on whatever route you are choosing. This is still the time of year they do that sort of thing and that can really change the flavor of your trip.
    Not to mention, it's Labor Day weekend as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late Apex Photo
    Thanks Bruce, good idea. Brett, we were thinking of going this way on the return trip. We are leaving the 3rd and going out the 10>25>40>35>135. We're making a stop in Kansas over the Holiday weekend and arriving at Lincoln on Monday.
    Larry

Cone Eater SCNAX
    Thanks Bruce, good idea. Brett, we were thinking of going this way on the return trip. We are leaving the 3rd and going out the 10>25>40>35>135. We're making a stop in Kansas over the Holiday weekend and arriving at Lincoln on Monday.
    interesting, any reason you guys aren't taking the 8? the 10 is more of a roundabout way. I'll be going the following:

8>10>25>76>80

Late Apex Photo
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoush View Post
    interesting, any reason you guys aren't taking the 8? the 10 is more of a roundabout way. I'll be going the following:

8>10>25>76>80

I really don't know. Robert lives in San Marcos, so driving south to get to 8 may not have been on his mind. I suspect we'll go down to the 8 anyway.
    Larry

Senior Member SCNAX
    Faster you get out of California the better, especially when towing. Much cheaper gas and higher speed limits (towing).

When I tow a near max load, I take the high route I15 to I80. Not as hot or far as the south routes, not nearly as steep as the I70. Dulllllllll.... though.

With a strong tow vehicle, I70 is slightly faster, much more interesting.

I've done the I 40 and I 10/20 thing to hit a free safe house in texas. It's much slower, hotter and lots of beige miles.

Jay W

I've gone back plenty of times and while the I15-I70 route is shorter and faster, I prefer the southern route when towing. Punched Lincoln into google maps and for me leaving from Santee, it's a 15 mile difference in the routes. I'll be leaving on the 3rd and headed east on I8, cutting up to the 10 by Gila Bend and through Phoenix. My route to Iowa is I8>AZ85>I10>I17>I40>US54>I70>I35

One thing I do is not tow at 70+mph. I've got a 24ft class C and I found keeping it around 60ish and I'll get 10mpg towing my jeep. 70-75 brings that to down to 6-7mpg.

Mark