Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Work Group Assignments

  1. #1
    Administrator SCNAX Cladmonitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    72

    Work Group Assignments

    I know I'm relatively new and this may be taken the wrong way but I'm so annoyed I don't care. So far two events this year decided to arbitrarily change the way work group assignments are handed out. It may not be a formal process but the format was 'early bird gets the worm', meaning the people who arrived at 7am get to pick their own assignments.

    I honestly wouldn't have cared that this format was changed but it should have been communicated on the flier so we didn't wake up at 4am to drive in the afternoon sessions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member SCNAX
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    822
    What exactly happened? Honestly confused. You were in morning work and run and they moved your work and/or run group to the afternoon? Most practice events the process is most everyone ends up on course and club members staff one person in the trailer and run the other event administration tasks like tech and registration or gate vice a champ event?

  3. #3
    Landbarge Master SCNAX Alden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by cpasti View Post
    What exactly happened? Honestly confused. You were in morning work and run and they moved your work and/or run group to the afternoon? Most practice events the process is most everyone ends up on course and club members staff one person in the trailer and run the other event administration tasks like tech and registration or gate vice a champ event?
    I think he woke up and got there early to get the work assignment he wanted for the afternoon. I agree it would've been nice if it was announced on the flier that work assignments were going to be assigned. Would've slept in a bit longer.
    #721 - Volvo S60R

  4. #4
    Senior Member SCNAX
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    822
    Gotcha, there's always that old joke about assume -

  5. #5
    Administrator SCNAX Cladmonitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    72
    Yes Peter, the common folk have these things to worry about My point was, if there was no reason to get there early, especially if you ran/worked in afternoon my day would have been much more effective.

  6. #6
    Administrator SCNAX Cladmonitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    72
    Right, that's also my point to set a precedence so not so many people are screwed....

  7. #7
    Senior Member SCNAX
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    822
    I just worked where they assigned me. I hadn't even gotten in originally and asked to be on the wait list for the morning only or I wouldn't have gone if I didn't get in. That way I knew my day. I would say it's the exception to be able to elect a work assignment at a practice from the events I've been to. Nothing wrong with always asking and it is how we all learn when we were new.

  8. #8
    Administrator SCNAX Cladmonitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    72
    says the guy who worked grid, but really I don't care about where I worked. I care about the sleep I lost. Again my point is, please just put on the flier if it's going to be assigned in advance, that's all. (Because no other hosts groups do this)

  9. #9
    The Iconoclast
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Cladmonitor View Post
    (Because no other hosts groups do this)
    Actually, SCNAX does. And has for 10 years. You're not SCNAX, you're likely on course.


    nalbar
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.
    .

  10. #10
    Administrator SCNAX Cladmonitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    72
    Strange Hank nor Rae mentioned this in all my discussions about this today... Again any reason we can't either find some unity (through consensus or otherwise) and put it on the flier. I know there were lots of people complaining about this at 7am.

    PS what does this mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by nalbar View Post
    You're not SCNAX, you're likely on course.

  11. #11
    The Iconoclast
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Cladmonitor View Post

    PS what does this mean?

    It means;

    If you are not a SCNAX member, and attend a SCNAX practice....you are likely chasing cones. Things like grid, gate, announcer, sound, post its, etc are reserved for SCNAX members (within reason). The reason is you don't want to over work host members over the two days. SCNAX never uses the champ worker sign up sheets at practices, we use the run group registration sheets, just like SDAD did today. All the host groups do this, to greater or lesser degrees.

    This has been SCNAX policy for 10 years. Yes, some people complain about it, but then they get priority when it's their turn to host an event. ::


    nalbar
    'Go slow to go fast' they say'. Heh. Trust me...... when it comes down to the fast ones? They go fast to go fast.
    .

  12. #12
    My vtec goes BwaaaaAAAH! SCNAX HY.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,226
    Speaking only as far back as 2011 (although I have attended every SCNAX event since, and chaired a couple), we've generally just covered tech and gates prior to 9am (1st run group) and during lunch. Otherwise, I've never seen special slots held for Carl to announce or for any of us to get gate, timing slips or any cushy jobs just because we're SCNAX. It's true it's a lot easier to sign up for the jobs you want when you're there super early setting up and putting out the sign-up sheets, but it's not as if we flag it up and tell SCNAXers "Get them while they're hot!" and tell people not to tread on "our" jobs. Rae's worked registration for four years and handled this job specifically before (before we hand it off to Ian or whoever the worker chief is). We didn't save jobs. The 5-6 years prior to this I don't know.

    I believe 3+ host groups use the green sign-up sheets and do it first-come-first-served (how else do I consistently get announcer?). I've seen TART just sign people up for assignments as they come to the trailer during their work heat. I don't usually complain because I understand the simplicity of this and ultimately, it does give a small opportunity for someone to get an assignment that suits them (or their abilities). And it doesn't require a shuffle in assignments should a crucial job be pre-arranged for a no-show.

    Perhaps most importantly, it's any host group's prerogative to run things however they want. But since 3+ groups have a worker sign-up sheet, and even TART signs you up on the spot (doesn't pre-arrange), I think it's fair to say what Alden said: "It would've been nice". Between Champ Days (all 13+) and over half the practices (5+) we create an understandable sense of precedence. Assumptions are tricky and dangerous, but a necessary part of living life. To clarify my belief though: SDAD did nothing wrong.
    -Hank #13

    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

    "Hank, YEEEE HAW!!! you're a tard head :P" - Diane Bollenbecker

    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." -Obi Wan Kenobi aka Old Ben Kenobi aka Our Only Hope

  13. #13
    Senior Member SDAD
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    120
    Sorry Cladmoniter as I am totally confused. You say you didn't care where you work your just concerned about the sleep you lost. You already knew what work group you were in since it was on the web site. Therefore arrive in time to sign up for your run / work group and the problem is solved. Secondly if you have a problem ask to talk the Chairperson, that's me Charlie. I am always in a position to discuss any issue and will be glad to talk to you in person and explain how things are done. That's better than bitching on the net and you will get better results. I'm really sorry you lost some sleep. As for me I stayed at the stadium from Friday thru Sunday, got up at 5:00 A.M. and went to bed late in my motorhome and ran my ass off all weekend so you could have a fun day at the races. As to the work group assignments, I look over who is in that workgroup and then I put who I think is the most qualified person in a position that they are familiar with. The people I don't know I put on the course. At a practice there fewer trailer positions therefore most people will be on the course.

    Sorry you had a bad day
    Charlie

  14. #14
    Administrator SCNAX Cladmonitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    72

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT CHARLIE View Post
    Sorry Cladmoniter as I am totally confused. You say you didn't care where you work your just concerned about the sleep you lost. You already knew what work group you were in since it was on the web site. Therefore arrive in time to sign up for your run / work group and the problem is solved. Secondly if you have a problem ask to talk the Chairperson, that's me Charlie. I am always in a position to discuss any issue and will be glad to talk to you in person and explain how things are done. That's better than bitching on the net and you will get better results. I'm really sorry you lost some sleep. As for me I stayed at the stadium from Friday thru Sunday, got up at 5:00 A.M. and went to bed late in my motorhome and ran my ass off all weekend so you could have a fun day at the races. As to the work group assignments, I look over who is in that workgroup and then I put who I think is the most qualified person in a position that they are familiar with. The people I don't know I put on the course. At a practice there fewer trailer positions therefore most people will be on the course.

    Sorry you had a bad day
    Charlie
    Charlie, sorry I guess I understand how my statement could have perceived differently, I'm not complaining about where I worked this time, (mainly because the temperatures were sane), other times I really really do care where I work.

    Im not trying to start a war here (seems thats what some think I'm doing) this whole thread really comes down to a lack of consistency, I feel like some things are common knowledge and others aren't. Lack of documented process and a way for dealing with issues is an overarching problem in my eyes. I've been doing this since January of last year, so I by no means have a right to complain about busting my ass and wasn't trying to say that you or anyone worked too little. I'm just asking for some transparency on things, if the answer is ... sorry deal with it, well then so be it.

    On to your second point about talking to you directly and I'll be blunt. I refuse to talk to people directly all that often in a one on one situation plainly because people in this Region seem to have problems either receiving criticism or problems acting like appropriate adults. I have been yelled at, talked down to, ignored, and talked bad about. Because of that I feel this is a good outlet for a discussion because things can't be twisted or taken out of context. On top of the way I have been treated the political inner workings of SDR are harder to keep track of than the Game Of Thrones plotlines (sorry if the reference escapes you). Plus if this isn't what this is for then why have discussion boards?

    I just hope we can all be friends one day

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •