Thread: Reliable Car/SUV for my Daughter

Junior Member DCCSD

Reliable Car/SUV for my Daughter

Fellow AutoX'ers,

I thought I would reach out to see if anyone might know of a good car for my daughter. She turned 16 in August, and I gave her our old 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (which she loved) to drive. She was rear ended on December 9th by a driver, and the car was totaled. She was OK

Last year she was involved in a rollover accident where she was a passenger in the vehicle (12 kids in an Excursion rolled twice...). She miraculously escaped that accident with only a few stitches from lacerations caused by broken glass she pulled herself over while squeezing out the back window, as the vehicle was on its side).

Anyway -- I want to get her something safe and reliable. She has a preference to SUVs...

Any thoughts? What would you all get your teen driver?

Does anyone know of any cars that are available that have been well maintained, and you would put your kids in?

I was looking to spend around $10K

Thanks,

James Gunn-Wilkinson

Senior Member SCNAX justaddnosplease's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgunn View Post
    Fellow AutoX'ers,

I thought I would reach out to see if anyone might know of a good car for my daughter. She turned 16 in August, and I gave her our old 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (which she loved) to drive. She was rear ended on December 9th by a driver, and the car was totaled. She was OK

Last year she was involved in a rollover accident where she was a passenger in the vehicle (12 kids in an Excursion rolled twice...). She miraculously escaped that accident with only a few stitches from lacerations caused by broken glass she pulled herself over while squeezing out the back window, as the vehicle was on its side).

Anyway -- I want to get her something safe and reliable. She has a preference to SUVs...

Any thoughts? What would you all get your teen driver?

Does anyone know of any cars that are available that have been well maintained, and you would put your kids in?

I was looking to spend around $10K

Thanks,

James Gunn-Wilkinson
    Hi James,

I've put a note to my friend who had a really nice Mazda CX5 for sale. It's a 5 speed so she'd also get an important life skill in the process. Super reliable. safe, and very clean. Hopefully it's still around! Glad she was safe after the rear ending!
    2018 WRB WRX + 2016 GS Prepped Focus ST

Junior Member DCCSD
    Thanks for checking on the CX-5.

V8 Volvo XC90. Hauls ass, luxurious, and safe.
    #721 - Volvo S60R

My vtec goes BwaaaaAAAH! SCNAX HY.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    V8 Volvo XC90. Hauls ass, luxurious, and safe.
    The idea of a Volvo does sound good, although not sure about an SUV. Their priority is safety and it's something unique probably from her friends. Is she interested in off-roading (like with the Jeep)?

I like a crossover like Kaustav recommended better if she is insistent on it being big, but still, those big vehicles drink more gas, are harder to drive, easier to roll, and cost more to maintain.

Good luck!
    -Hank #13

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

"Hank, YEEEE HAW!!! you're a tard head :P" - Diane Bollenbecker

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." -Obi Wan Kenobi aka Old Ben Kenobi aka Our Only Hope

Not a SUV but I have a Volvo V90 tank.. I mean station wagon, not a looker and with 200,000 miles not a spring chicken. But all the maintance has been kept up and should have quite a few more miles before any major needs crop up..
    It was the flagship Volvo in the last year (1998) of the old Volvo, before Ford got involved.

I originally got it for a younger Nanny to drive my kids around, so solid, dependable, safe tank was the criteria in my selection. The thing has an insanely tight turning radius, highly maneuverable, great at highway speeds, with clear sight lines in all directions (no blind spots).

If you or your daughter have interest PM me, I would give you a good deal..

Last edited by JonRobbinSS; 01-05-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Senior Member SCNAX justaddnosplease's Avatar
    Wow! that volvo does look pretty cherry Jonathan.

James, I got word from my buddy and unfortunately the CX5 is sold. I test drove one a while ago, handles like a car but is higher up. Something like that may be ideal for your daughter especially since it's got a very fuel efficient engine. The 10k may be stretching it a bit on the budget as it's a fairly new car though.
    2018 WRB WRX + 2016 GS Prepped Focus ST