Thread: Warbirds at Palomar airport in Carlsbad.

Warbirds at Palomar airport in Carlsbad.

The Collins Foundation http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm brought their "Wings of Freedom" Tour to Carlsbad yesterday.

Included is "Witchcraft" the only B-24J Liberator still flying, (and probably built right here in San Diego); "Nine 0 Nine" a B-17 Flying Fortress, and "Betty Jane" a P-51.

Here's the B-24:
    Name:  IMG_6562.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  113.4 KB

and the B-17:
    Name:  IMG_6569.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  91.2 KB

the P-51:
    Name:  IMG_6570.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  78.8 KB

Last but not (JST an airplane)
    Name:  IMG_6563.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  154.0 KB

My Dad flew one of these in WWII for 30 missions out of England around D-Day,1944. Lucky for me, he came home....
    They'll be at Palomar airport tomorrow, then Ramona airport Mon-Wed- see Collins' website above for more.
    Last edited by lost won; 05-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.

When these planes were active in WWII I could draw a reasonable picture while I was supposed to be learning the "times" tables. Brings a tear to my eye, seeing them still working for the benefit of the country.
    Old school
    Really [I]old[/I] school

always happy
    My dad also flew in B-17's. Crashed a couple in farm fields of France and walked away. I have a photo of him in a field at 18 years old holding a fire hose next to his wrecked plane. One mission he said it was so cold flying all night that he didn't know he had been hit with shrapnel until they landed and he tried to stand up. I have the chunk of steel and his purple heart medal.
    Dark Blue 99 Miata and a Galaxy Gray 08 MX5. SCCA, PCA and BMW #105