Thread: PDX a Inde Motorsports

PDX a Inde Motorsports

Want a challenge and fun at the same time come to the PDX event at Inde Motorsports [see www.azscca.com ], I have driven the 4 tracks in the Division and the 3 most recent dead tracks (HAIR, CARLSBAD and RIVERSIDE) and Inde is the most fun and challenging track in the Division. Currently I have almost 70 laps at Inde and it still catches me out if I lose my concentration for a moment. Fun yes but challenging at the same time think VIR with out the Oak tree, think Willow with out the need for 400-horse power to make it fun.
    I think enough about Inde that I have abandon my plans for a street legal dune buggy and I’m in the process of converting it to a track day car, think Miata front and semi-trailing arm rear suspension and rear engine.

Quote Originally Posted by sccaone View Post
    think Miata front and semi-trailing arm rear suspension and rear engine.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

(please someone recognize this response and not think I'm crazy; I think everyone would want to see this)
    2013 Audi A4

[B]Disclaimer:[/B] The preceeding is an uninformed opinion. Believe at your own risk.

Ask and you shall receive:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Old guy

Those of you under forty will not remember Heather and I, but in the OLD days we had 10+ years of 100% participation, I had a top time of day and we had many class championships.

You don’t know how good you have it now, when the Padres and Chargers both played at the stadium August, September and part of October the stadium was not available to us lowly Solo II folks.

A good point. don't go back that far.

"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" Kimi Raikkonen to his race engineer 2012 Abu Dhabi GP (Win)

Quote Originally Posted by sccaone View Post

You don’t know how good you have it now, when the Padres and Chargers both played at the stadium August, September and part of October the stadium was not available to us lowly Solo II folks.

Not true Leo we ran at Convair in Kerny Mesa, Parkway Plaza El Cajon, K-Mart in Spring Valley, Monte Vista High School, Southwestern College, etc.

Steve

How could I forget the parking lot at Southwest?
    Up one row and down the next dodging the parking bumpers that was Southwest?

my memory isn't that good!
    Ok Robbie, Jim,Frank, chime in please.

Steve

Senior Member SCNAX
    Chattanooga, TN (just west of Tail of the Dragon)
    Interesting new track.

For those that might be curious, it is located in Willcox Arizona, just off I-10, about 7 hours east of San Diego.

If it was closer, I would give it a try.
    "Definition of a "good day" autocrossing? If you can make it all day without someone yelling at you." - R. Noll
    This forum and server sponsored by some guy in Tennessee

Vega Wagon at Southwestern College, 1971

I don't remember S'western College as being much different from any of the other parking lots we used. I can think of two different events there, but not much about them. I took three passengers on a fun run in the Vega Kammback.

There was one event at the University on Point Loma. It has since changed its name and I can't recall any of them at the moment. The slalom (autocross? what's that?) was called "Little Monaco" and was run up and down three or four single-lane parking lots on the side of a hill. Organized by the Student Union, or some such group, all good intentions and missteps.

One of the boys was standing on a metal folding chair to get a good angle for his photographs. I told him he was in jeopardy and should move. "I'm one of the organizers - I know what I'm doing" was the essence of his retort. I walked away and within a minute a Corvette had skidded in the sand and hit the chair, knocking the kid for a loop. He was very, very seriously injured, suffering disabilities he'd never recover from. His family sued the University, the organizers, the Corvette driver, and a few other entities. They didn't get much: our little conversation became part of the record and sort of diminished the kid's plea of innocence.

The Monte Vista High School event was a real laugher, in a way. Someone look at the lot well in advance of the slalom date and said, "What kind of a Mickey-Mouse course can you make on that little lot?" I was event chairman (SCCA SDR) and made the course in the shape of Mickey Mouse's famous head profile. It took a while before anyone noticed it on the course map.

The event wasn't that bad. Pretty much technical, and busy, but fun as contrasted with the alternative (no action at all). The big conflict was over one entrant's Cobra: the tech inspector correctly identified the differential as Chevrolet in manufacture, not an allowed modification under the rules current at that time (1968? '69?). We polled his competition, and the consensus was there was no performance advantage - let 'im run.

I also learned something about fire extinguisher mounts: mine sprung loose in the second turn, first run, and the cloud of powder looked like the car was on fire. So embarrassing.

Another small, one-time-I-remember lot was Cubic two. Cubic one was standard (east of the building, south of Balboa; still there, last week...) and frequently-used. Two was on the north side of Balboa and a bit farther west.

A favorite for an unusual feature was the one in the northwest quadrant of Clairemont Mesa Boulevard and 395 (163 to you younkers). There was a lot behind a theater-in-the-round, and the creative course designer (SDAD) ran it around the theater and back into the lot. The flag dude in this (1969) MG pic looks like Bruce Bassham, eh?

[ATTACH]Attachment 399[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking of the lot that was under where the Mercedes place is at Balboa and 163. Was a Big Apple Store, then Arnold's furniture "mall"-like place. Had my first experience on actual racing tires, there. Cone city; those square tread corners caught me out after a long history of rounded radials.

Certainly others will have memories of similar places. We ran where we could, for quite a while. I can't recall "doing" the stadium until late-middle 70s.
    Old school
    Really [I]old[/I] school